Accountant / Fuels and Lubes Tax Specialist
This position is responsible for applying accepted accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and statements and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Responsible for day-to-day general ledger accounting and reconciliation, financial reporting and analysis for assigned company divisions and related product lines
• Responsible for monthly / quarterly / annual motor fuels and lubricants sales and excise tax returns filings and reconciliation of related general ledger accounts.
• Responsible to maintain appropriate product tax definitions to insure proper invoicing and return preparation
• Perform margin review for assigned product lines and divisions
• Perform monthly income statement and changes in financial position/budget variance analysis for assigned divisions
• Assist Controller in month end closing including various journal entries, account analysis and reporting
• Prepare financial reports, charts, graphs and other exhibits as required for Operational Statistics
• Assist in production of monthly financial books within scheduled deadlines
• Assist Controller in preparing monthly bank and cost study reporting
• Assist Controller in preparing annual budget and underlying calculations
• Prepare Balance Sheet reconciliations of all assigned accounts accurately and within scheduled deadlines
• Provide requested information and assist Controller in preparing for/completing bi-annual bank and annual financial statement audits and tax returns
• Complete other duties and projects as requested by Controller, VP of Finance or other members of management team
Knowledge, Skills and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s of Science degree in Accounting required, CPA or MBA preferred
• 3+ years experience, preferably with several of those in this current position.
• Strong math and accounting skills
• Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Excel
• Proficient technical skills with various accounting software packages, experience in JD Edwards a plus
• Must possess strong organizational skills and possess the ability to perform complex and concurrent tasks with frequent interruptions
• Capable of multi-tasking and professionally interacting with others in a fast-paced work environment
• Ability to use good judgment, initiative, and make good decisions with limited supervision
• Ability to establish priorities and meet objectives
• Able to work well independently but also in a teamwork environment
• Must have effective grammatical, written and verbal communications skills and have demonstrated skill in business writing
The job description of Accountant / Motor Fuels and Lubricants Tax Specialist is not inclusive and is subject to changes, additions and deletions as determined by the supervisor.